Whenever a child complains of dental problem, parents tend to take them to a dentist. Most of them may not be aware that rather than taking them to a general dentist it is good to take their little one to a Pediatric dentist, a specialist who has been specially trained to take care of a child’s oral health.
A Brief on Pediatric Dentistry
It is a branch of dentistry which chiefly deals with the oral hygiene and oral health of kids. In the case of children maintaining the right oral hygiene is essential. This if ignored at the initial years can result in dental issues and severe consequences in the future. Parents should teach their kids about maintaining the right oral health by suggesting them to brush their teeth regularly and avoid giving them food that has high sugar content. Most importantly parents should take their child to an excellent dental clinic such as Drs. Leal, Spangler and Johnson in Winston-Salem, NC for routine check-ups on a regular basis. It is best to visit a pediatric dentist once every 2-3 months. In fact, pediatric dentistry is a branch of dentistry that is different from other dentistry fields. No wonder they are trained for extra years post completion of their degree. This branch of dentistry emphasizes the bonding between the child patient and the dentist. Understanding the psychology of the child is crucial on the part of the dentist to treat her/him in the right way. As a result, child psychology plays a pivotal role in pediatric dentistry. After all, it is crucial to eliminating the fear of children visiting a dentist.
Pediatric Dentistry and its Concentrated Areas
Take a look at some of the concentrated areas that fall under pediatric dentistry,
- Sedation Methods for Kids
- Behavioral Management
- Medical or Genetic Management
- Preventive Care
- Creating Positive Relationships
- Preventive Education with the Patients
- Management of any face or mouth condition
Techniques and Methods Used in Pediatric Dentistry
Amid the different methods and techniques generally adopted in a dental clinic for handling children, understanding and patience reign supreme for a good number of dentists. There are specific instances in pediatric dentistry when the dentist requires implementing restraint on the kid. Restraint, in this case, means to stop the child from moving too much as well as hurting them. A pediatric clinic is full of implements and tools that can be perilous when the kid is rowdy, or the dentist fails to manage the child despite getting assistance from parents. Thus, it is imperative that the dentist secures the child’s safety by restraining him. Before adopting this technique, the pediatric dentist will discuss with the child’s guardian or parents about the utilization of this technique. Everything will be considered thoroughly before implementation as often parents are worried regarding the restraint’s degree which the dentist will use on the child. Sedation is another method which pediatric dentists use. Here again, there will be a use of restraint and some parents may not be comfortable with using sedatives for calming down their child. Still, there needs to be some explanation and discussion between the dentist and the parents concerning the level of sedation. Often children can be nervous and overly anxious about visiting a dentist who may be highly active and jumpy for their good. A responsible and good pediatric dentist will explain to the parents in detail why sedation may be needed for the session and will use it only if agreed upon by the guardian or parent.
The Role of a Pediatric Dentist
A pediatric dental clinic is usually fun, colorful and child-friendly. Often dental phobias are rooted in childhood thus it is crucial to make the child feel safe, comfortable and develop a trust in their dentist. A pediatric dentist will concentrate on different kinds of oral care which includes,
- Prevention-One of the most common problems that children suffer from is tooth decay. Along with offering guidance and advice, a pediatric dentist will also apply fluoride treatments and sealants for minimizing cavities and protecting tooth enamel.
- Early Detection-Computer modeling, X-rays, and examinations help the pediatric dentist in predicting future oral problems such as jaw irregularities, bruxism, bad bite amid others. In some cases, there can be optimal outcomes by beginning the treatment at an early stage.
- Treatment-A pediatric dentist will provide an array of treatments. Along with preventive therapies such as sealant and fluoride application, he can also treat oral trauma and perform pulp therapy. If a child loses primary teeth too soon, the dentist will provide space maintainers to make sure that there is no misalignment.
- Education-For any pediatric practice, education plays a significant role. A pediatric dentist will help his child patient to understand the significance of day to day oral care and also advise parents about their child’s diet, toothpaste selection, thumb-sucking cessation as well as other related things.
- Updates-A pediatric dentist will be highly trained and informed regarding the latest advances taking place in the field of dentistry. Xylitol for instance which is a natural substitute for sugar can protect young teeth against harmful bacteria, tooth decay, and cavities. Children who fail to visit a dentist regularly will miss out both on beneficial information as well as information related to new diagnostic procedures.
Fantastic Benefits of Taking a Child to a Pediatric Dentist
Below are some incredible benefits of taking a child to a Pediatric Dentist,
- First and foremost, if a child visits a pediatric dentist regularly, he/she will develop good habits. Most adults are poor when it comes to taking proper care of the teeth. This habit often is rooted in childhood. Since childhood, if a kid develops the habit to ignore oral health, this habit will continue into adulthood. The more frequent any kid visits the dentist; automatically the more comfortable he/she will feel about the same during the future. Regular exposure to the dentist in youth will be a suitable means of avoiding this fear to plague them later in life.
- When parents take their child to a dentist regularly, it will help to keep their mouth hygienic and healthy. Most oral and dental problems develop noticeable symptoms such as discomfort and pain after the problem persisted for long, but a pediatric dentist will be capable of spotting the warning symptoms of issues much before they develop. That means when parents take their kids to a dentist from time to time they can prevent their child from developing expensive and painful dental problems.
- By taking a child to a pediatric dentist will help teach the child responsibility. If the child eats too many sweets, the dentist will guide the child and suggest him for a cavity drill if the need be. When the child experiences the consequences or even rewarded for his action, he will likewise develop the behavior. If the child gets an appraisal for their clean teeth, he will continue to maintain the same habit.
- Habits such as teeth grinding, and thumb sucking are quite common in kids and parents often face difficulty to break such habits. It is here where a pediatric dentist will act as a savior. At times sitting along with the child at a dental clinic and allow the dentist in teaching the child regarding the significance of avoiding teeth-harming habits indeed will act as the push that the child will need for nixing the bad habit for good.
- A pediatric patient is mindful when it comes to instilling healthy dental habits at an early age for a dental health life-long, the child can adopt preventative care during adolescence amid others. A child’s first initial visits for instance to the dentist may be geared more in teaching little ones on how to look after their gums and teeth properly, and the focus may then shift to promote healthy teeth development in adults and fine-tuning best dental hygiene practices eventually.
- A pediatric dentist possesses the unique opportunity of building their clinic around the patients which they see most often, which means their clinic is colorful and attractive and have fun décor themes such as outer space or aquatic life. The waiting area too will feature some fun options which will be thoroughly admired by children. The pediatric dentist’s clinic will become a place which a child will look forward to visiting.
A visit to a dental clinic can be scary indeed for all and children too are no different. A Pediatric dentist will possess the skills and training that will make a child feel comfortable and at ease at the time of their dental visits. An environment that is kid-friendly will allow a child to have a positive experience and shed their fear. An excellent first impression will give the child the opportunity of recognizing the significance of right oral health thereby making it more likely in practicing proper dental habits all throughout their lives. Consulting a dentist is vital for all, particularly children. Taking children to a dentist will help in keeping the mouth clean as well as develop good habits which are crucial for the remaining of their lives.