Have tried massage before? What are your thoughts regarding soreness? If you have not massaged before, this might be a new concept to you. However, I believe you have experienced soreness before, or perhaps you have come across the term. To put matters in the right perspective, it will be important to handle the concept of massage from scratch.
There are different forms of massage, each focusing on a distinct part of the body, or perhaps for healing purposes. How do you define massage? Well, this is simply the art of rubbing and kneading body parts by means of hands. During the session, the practitioners often apply some gentle pressure to various muscles as well as the joints in order to ease tension and pain. A therapist in this contest is an individual trained and certified in offering massages. This blog will address at least three basic aspects of the art of massaging: the types, the benefits, and the side effects. In the end, we will be able to respond to the question of whether you are supposed to feel sore after a message. So the let us begin…
Types of massage
There are so many types of massage, most of them depending on the goal or the desired outcome. For now, let us discuss the most basic ones.
- Swedish massage. This is a mild form of full-body massage meant for the following group of individuals
- a) Those attempting massage for the first time
- b) Those with too much tension
- c) Those very subtle to touch.
It can potentially eliminate muscle knots. It is most preferred by individuals who want a relaxed sensation. It is important to mention that you will be required to undress, though you may retain the underwear. You will be cover with a sheet and the therapist will only uncover the parts supposed to be worked on. It often lasts between 60 and 90 minutes.
- Sports massage. This is a form of massage used by individuals with constant injury within a muscle, especially the ones sustained during sports. It is a nice option for those are more predisposed to injuries. It, generally, help to promote muscle flexibility and performance. It is also essential in lessening muscle pain and tension as well as anxiety. This type of massage can take the form of full body massage, though the therapist may also choose to focus only on the injured parts. Usually, deep pressure may be rotated with soothing strokes, though it depends on your situation. Important to note, your therapy session may be carried out while dressed or naked. In case you opt for clothing, make sure what you put on is thin, loose and give your therapist full access to the affected muscles. In fact, a loose short along with a tank top will do better.
- Prenatal Massage. This is meant for women in gravidity. It relieves one from stress and muscle tension. It is possible to have a message at any point during pregnancy. However, due to high risks of miscarriage, a message is not recommended within the first trimester. You can either be half naked or naked as dictated by your confidence and comfort level. There are so many acupuncture points at the back which when stimulated can trigger labor. For this reason, we strongly recommend you conduct a reputable massage center, such as My Home Therapy.
There are many other forms of massage. But like any other therapy, the guiding principle is to make the right choice, especially when it comes to the therapist. Now we shift our attention to the benefits you can get from massage.
The benefits of Massaging
We have already mentioned that massaging relaxes the muscles. Isn’t that beneficial? Yet there is more than you can gain. The following are more benefits of massage:
- Lessens stress. For days after the massage, individuals often feel relaxed.
- Improve blood circulation. Loosening muscles along with tendons facilitate the flow of blood to all body parts. This also reduces fatigue and facilitate pain management.
- Reduce Pain. A massage helps in dealing with back pain and acute stiffness.
- Helps in detoxification. Massaging stimulate soft body tissues and via blood and lymphatic mechanisms, this help to eliminate toxins.
- Improve flexibility. The loosening of the muscles facilitates various body movements.
- Improve sleep. What do you expect after relaxing? Relaxation along with boosted mood leads a good sleep.
These are just a few of the benefits you can receive. Give it a try and see for yourself. Now back to the question raised at the outset. Are you supposed to sore after a massage? This leads us to the final part of this blog – the side effects…
The Side Effects of a Message
It has often been said that a coin has got two sides. Well, this is true when it comes to massage. While there are so many benefits that individuals can receive, there are also some side effects that you need to know. Here are some:
- Soreness. Incontrovertibly, massage brings a relaxed sensation. Even so, a deep- tissue massage is so intense, and this is also the case with sports massage. It is possible to experience some sorts of discomfort while in the session. What is more, you can extremely sore the following day. This is especially the case when your body isn’t accustomed to manipulation. Nevertheless, the soreness should not go beyond the next day.
By way of review, are you supposed to sore after a massage? Yes! It is a common thing, however, the soreness should not go beyond two days.
- Fatigue. A deep massage may render you fatigued in the following day, especially if the nerves are overstimulated.
- While major complications are rare, they can happen. This may include injuries to the nerves of internal bleeding.
- Inadequate treatment. Overreliance on massage therapies has often made individuals neglect medical treatment.
While it is true message has some side effects, the benefits outweigh the side effects. If you have never given it a try, we suggest that you consider it. It is my hope that this blog has enriched your understanding of what a message is and how it can affect you.